Coupon Seekers

If you came to my blog to begin or enhance your coupon journey, start with these tips:
• Not a member of Swagbucks? Scroll to the bottom of my blog and sign up! Earn points for searches you would do on the internet anyway and more!
• Print your coupons here! Click the “Print Coupons HERE!” tab. Make sure to come back at the beginning of each month when the coupons are new again! Remember: it takes a few weeks to get going and the goal is always to SAVE more than you SPEND.

Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Not for the Squeamish

About a month ago, we were taking a 6 day vacation in South Florida & the Florida Keys.  We had taken the camper and parked it in a state park midway down the Keys and drove during the days up to Ft. Lauderdale, West Palm Beach, Miami and down to each of the islands to Key West. 

One of the days, had been much like the others.  We had spent the day out and about and it had started to rain as we were heading back to camp.  We stopped at a gas station to fill up the tank, hubby and I took turns for a bathroom break.  As I was returning from the restroom, hubby had completed gassing up the tank and he was handing me the keys as I was walking back to the van.  It was an exchange we have done often, never wanting to leave the kids in the car in an unfamiliar place without an adult. 

This time was quite different.  I missed the inital exchange and as I turned to reach back and grab the keys my feet slipped on the wet concrete and I fell down on my wrist, elbow and hip - hard.  I was lying there on the concrete, in the rain, in pain and embarassed.  A complete stranger came over and helped my husband lift me off the ground and walk me to my car. 

I sat in the car and assessed my injuries.  Would there be an out of town, late night hospital visit?  My wrist was hurting the most.  I was trying to stay calm and focused enough to determine if it was broken.  There was a knot on one side, but it didn't hurt to touch it.  I was able to reset the bone, realizing it was displaced.  It started feeling better within a few minutes. 

Next was my hip.  Already having arthritis in my hip, I did not want to have any further damage to it.  It hurt terribly and felt badly bruised but showed no signs of a topical bruise so I assumed a soft tissue injury needing rest. 

Lastly, my elbow.  I could bend my arm and rotate it, so I didn't think it was broken.  It just hurt so much!  I rested it on a pillow through the night and planned to make a day trip to a local hospital if it wasn't any better.  While it was better and the remaning two days of our trip continued, it is actually still bothering me.  Ocassionally if I rest it on a table or even gently bump it, it burns deep into my bone.  I assume that I cracked the bone and probably should have had it x-rayed even though I don't know if anything could have been done for it other than keeping it immobile. 

Through it all, I have often thought back to the nice lady who stopped what she was doing in the dark, pouring down rain, along a travel route to help someone she didn't know.  Would I have done the same?  I would like to think I would have, but in today's environment it is really a gamble.  Too many times, I have heard horror stories about the "good samaritan" who stopped to help someone only to be mugged or murdered.  It has truly tainted my nature.  Either way...

God bless her, whoever she was.

 ChristinaLynn }i{

No comments:

Post a Comment